Monday, August 11, 2014

Day 47 - Bukit Lawang

It's a new day, and I wake up to more confusion and frustration. The "included breakfast" at my hotel is toast and Tang - I haven't eaten in almost 24 hours. The person at the front desk has no idea how I can get to Bukit Lawang, or maybe doesn't realize what I'm asking. AND... there is no wifi even though my reservation said there would be, so I can't figure out transportation online. In the light of day, my hotel is in a commercial/industrial zone, just off a busy 6 lane street. I decide to walk to try and figure things out.

There is nothing in English, no restaurants, or stores, and still not another traveler in sight, so I'm losing hope at this point. I see a very tall building several blocks away towards the financial district, and head for it. It ends up being a JW Marriott!!! I have a nice (expensive) breakfast and then talk with the concierge (who speaks pretty good English) about booking transportation to the village of Bukit Lawang, where my jungle trek would depart from. It's several hours away at the edge of the national forest, and only accessed by narrow, winding bumpy roads, so as expected, it was pricey for the hotel to arrange transport. At this point, I was desperate to get there and paid for the luxury of a private, air conditioned minivan. Everywhere I've been up until this point, has had tour assistance, buses, etc readily available, or you could be pointed in the right direction, and that's why I didn't plan ahead. I've booked everything on the spot in most cases, whether it be a ferry ride, long haul bus, day trip or tour... I just assumed I could do the same here, which obviously was not the case.

All that aside, I was on my way and so excited for the trek. The ride to the village was great as well. You can get such a great taste of a region even by just passing through and seeing people in their everyday activities.

About 2 hours and 45 minutes later I was in Bukit Lawang. There are no hotels here, just guesthouses, and I was dropped at one that was "recommended" by my driver. (He just knew them and got a cut for dropping me there. Lol)

It's VERY simple here. Below are a couple views of the village from my vantage point at the guesthouse.

 

Monkeys rule the place. They are everywhere!!!! I could safely say they have an infestation. Running up the steps, taking bags out of the trash and inspecting them (as seen below), getting up on the tables in the common area and trying to get in my backpack... I was cracking up at how comical they are. When you yell at them, they actually yell back and frown at you. Hilarious.

I walked the length of the village in less than 5 minutes, grabbed a bite to eat, and spent the rest of the evening getting my pack prepared for the trek that will begin at 8am tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment