Thursday, August 14, 2014

Day 51 - Palau Payar Marine Park

While walking Georgetown yesterday, I booked a day trip out to the uninhabited island of Palau Payar to do some snorkeling.
The boat ride out was couple hours long, but unlike the ferries in Thailand, they had a movie screen, which helped time pass tremendously.
I'm traveling with my own gear, so I was the very first person in the water surrounding that island today, while the other day trippers were still getting geared up. That was great, because I was able to get a glimpse of some of the more skittish fish before the crowd scattered them, and I also had the beach to myself for awhile, which was nice. (The boat parks at a docking platform out away from shore and the coral reef to prevent damage, so to get to the island you have to swim about 100 meters or so.)










I began seeing one black tip shark, after another, which was really exciting.
After a full day in the water, I was starving. I got back to Georgetown and immediately hit up the hawkers on Chulia Street.
Dinner was a wonton, bok choy, and noodle soup, and a few kabobs.
For dessert, Ais Kacang. Probably the weirdest combination of flavors and textures. It's shaved ice with rose syrup, topped with sweetened red and black beans, creamed corn, these jelly/jello chunks, chewier gummy chunks, ice cream, and nuts. I'm not sure if I loved it, or hated it, to be honest. I ate the whole thing, but after each bite I was trying to decide what I thought of it. Lol
Tomorrow, I'll take the bus and cruise around the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment