Saturday, August 16, 2014

Day 54 - Kuala Lumpur's Twin Towers and Chinatown

I switched hotels because I realized that there are a ton in this area for half what I paid the first night. It's a little more of a dive, but just across the street from the other, and I won't be spending much time in the room anyway.
My bags were dropped in my room, and I took off towards the Petronas TwinTowers. These iconic buildings were the two tallest building in the world for years, and have been featured in countless movies (like Mission Impossible 3).
It's funny how excited I get, even simply seeing a building. I think it's due to the fact that I have such an interest in the world, and all the different pieces of a city or place that make it unique. These iconic places are like exciting fairytails to me, that become real when I'm in front of them. The closest thing I can relate it to, it is being starstruck when you see a celebrity, but I don't really care much about celebrities, just blips on the globe. :)
The tickets to the observation deck of the towers were sold out by 11am, so I wasn't able to go to the top today. :/ I'll try again tomorrow or the next day.
He mall at the base of the towers was massive, and a filled with high-end designer stores. It was nice to send some time in the AC, but I prefer bargain and local shopping at outdoor street markets. :)
So, I walked a few miles to Chinatown, to see what it had to offer.
I spent the the second half of the day wandering around here, and then walked back to my neighborhood, to the food street.
After battling the crowds all day, I just wasn't feeling it, so I walked around the corner and sat down at a quieter restaurant, still close enough to people watch, but not right in the mix. I ordered a Malay meal of crispy chicken, squid in chili paste, and rice with egg. I also got a little cup of roasted peanuts with dried anchovies. Interesting. :)
Stayed out fairly late tonight, hanging out with some other travelers, sharing some beers, and watching the crowds pass by.

No comments:

Post a Comment