Monday, August 18, 2014

Day 55 - Batik Painting Class and City Bus Tour

I planned on visiting the observation deck of the towers today, and but once again, it was sold out by the time I arrived at the ticket counter this morning. :/ It's rainy and visibility wouldn't be the greatest today anyway, so I'll try again tomorrow.

Instead, I walked to a factory that creates beautiful batik fabrics. I signed up to take a class where I learned the process from start to finish.

I decided I wanted to try and replicate a floral henna pattern, similar to the ones I've been seeing on women in the area. My instructor basically told me I didn't have the skill to do the intricate details that kind of pattern would need, so I scaled it back. As soon as I started adding the wax, I realized he was right! The hot wax tool is really tricky to use. You have to keep it pressed tight down on the fabric, or the hot wax just free-flows and would muck up and ruin your project in an instant.

After tracing the pattern in wax, you use a watery (but dense in color) paint/dye, and use plain water to bleed the colors into each other. It acts differently than regular watercolor painting that I'm used to, but I think it turned out pretty good for my first try. :)

(I say my first try, because I bought one of the wax tools from them, so I can batik when I get home)

Below, are the pros at work. :)

I stopped by the mall for lunch because it was on the way to the bus for my city tour, and because the selection of food is just fantastic. I mentioned in a post from a few days ago, that the fast food is so much healthier here. I took this photo that pretty much sums it up. It looks like a buffet line, but this is a fast food restaurant!!!

There are a few fried dumpling type items, but most are asian veggies, shellfish, and a selection of rice and noodles to complete your bowl. The noodles are all freshly made and dried, and are cooked on the spot. Really delicious.

After lunch, I hopped on one of Kuala Lumpur's many modes of transportation, the KL Hop-on Hop-off bus. For the equivilalant of $10 US dollars, it's a double decker bus tour around the city, that you can get on and off of for 24 hours, jumping off at places you want to see. These are pretty much found in major cities worldwide now, but normally if something isn't with walking distance, I would brave the city bus for just cents to get to a place. But, it's the end of my trip and I'm lazy. Lol.

Tonight, I got fixed up for the first time on my whole trip, and went to a rooftop bar for drinks and dancing, overlooking the lit up towers.

 

The picture above turned out spectacular, even though I almost lost my iPad out the window on the 30th floor. :/

It was a late night, but I have to be to the towers by 7am if I want to make it to the top!!! Tomorrow is my final opportunity.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment