Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Day 36 - Monkey Pee

We woke up and had breakfast at our resort overlooking the valley, and then caught the early shuttle to Ubud town. We made our way down to the monkey forest, popping in and out of shops and restaurants to avoid the rain, and admiring the buildings and family temples along the way.

 

As we neared the monkey forest, we began seeing monkeys everywhere; on rooftops, running across power lines, even trotting down the middle of the street.

The forest itself was gorgeous, even if there had been no monkeys; but, it was FULL of them.

 

We were enjoying our time with the monkeys, when all of a sudden one decided to run up me and sit on my shoulder. Odd, because they only paid attention to you when you were holding a banana, or a bag they found interesting and worth stealing. I wasn't holding anything, and at first thought it was just a personable monkey. Wrong. It was a jackass monkey. He climbed me only to have a nice platform on which to pee. I was SOAKED with monkey urine. OMG!! I quickly found a bathroom and took my whole shirt off, washed it the best I could in the sink with no soap, threw water on myself to rinse off, and donned the wet shirt so we could continue our day. I swear, I am a magnet for weird things. Random things like that happen to me all too often ! Gross at the time, but I'm sure I'll laugh about it for years to come. :)

We made it back to the bungalow with just enough time to get cleaned up and hop back on the shuttle towards town again; this time just short of Ubud to a pretty restaurant on a rice paddy where we'd enjoy some wine at sunset.

From there, we walked in the dark down what turned out to be a pretty sketchy road, to an amazing restaurant perched high up on a hill. They pulled us away from the table before our meal arrived, and directed us over to watch a traditional Balinese show. So awesome!

Dinner was fantastic - crispy duck with Balinese sauce.

Caught a cab back to the resort and crashed out after a great day (despite the monkey incident) in Ubud. :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment